Senderbase.org monitors the Top 100 senders by IP and by Network. It collects collects data on more than 30 percent of the world’s email and web traffic. This network data is more than 10 times larger than that of other monitoring systems and we feel the volume provides a statistically significant sample size, resulting in immediate and accurate detection of even lower-volume email senders. Keep in mind that most if not all of this sample data (digital messages) are sent via “Ironport” servers. So some data will be slightly skewed.
Accuracy for Email Administrators
More than 120,000 organizations contribute information to Cisco IronPort SenderBase on 5 billion messages per day. These organizations include some of the world’s largest networks. The Cisco IronPort SenderBase Network gives email administrators exceptional real-time visibility into security threats from around the globe along with IP information, if required.
In this blog post we will be looking at Network Ownership to determine a few simple facts about the Top 100 global senders over the past 30 days by order of Email Magnitude. For our readership, we have chosen to focus on orgainic ESPs for the most part.
(Similar to the Richter scale used to measure earthquakes, SenderBase’s magnitude is a measure of message volume calculated using a log scale with a base of 10. The maximum theoretical value of the scale is set to 10, which equates to 100% of the world’s email message volume. A value of 9 would equate to 10% of the worlds email messaging volume. Using our log scale, a one point decrease in magnitude equates to a 10x decrease in actual volume. For example, with a world wide daily volume of 200 billion messages/day a domain with a magnitude of 5 would have an estimated volume of 2M/day while a sender with a magnitude of 6 would have an estimated daily volume of 20M/day)
So, last month legitimate email represented approximately 14.44% of the worlds global traffic of email. Of the top 100 senders in the world, China Telecom and Google were 1 & 2 respectively with a monthly magnitude of 8.4. The following are a few simple facts I thought our readership can utilize.
- Facebook and ExactTarget sent approximately the same number of digital messages with magnitudes of 7.7 and 7.6 respectively.
- EmailVision, ConstantContact and E-Dialog sent approximately the same number of digital messages with magnitudes of 7.3 each.
- Responsys, MailChimp and Yahoo! Europe, sent approximately the same number of digital messages with magnitudes of 7.2 each.
- SilverPop and Yahoo! Japan sent approximately the same number of digital messages with magnitudes of 7.2 and 7.3 respectively.
- CheetahMail and Amazon Web Services, sent 7.1 and 7.2 respecitvely.
- Honorable mentions go to CenturyLink with a magnitude of 7.8, which surpassed Facebook this past month.
Disclaimer: ExactTarget, EmailVision, Responsys, MailChimp, Silverpop and Experian CheetahMail are clients of Port25 Solutions, Inc which are highlighted in Burgundy.